Saturday, August 8, 2009

Week Two

I don't know what day I'm on anymore, but I'm well past the one-week mark. I have been extraordinarily busy, and have not made updating this a priority. A person could have 100 hours in a day and still be too busy, until one prioritizes.

I am coming to realize that my workload is next to infinite, and any illusions I have of 'finishing' something are just endlessly leading me down a dead end. So today, Saturday, instead of spending 12 hours in the lab speeding along procedures/experiments, I am here using the computers, and I have spent about a 1/2 hour working with Petri dishes.

I am definitely getting more adjusted to this schedule, but jet-lag persists. I was remarkably sleepy yesterday all morning, and didn't fully wake up until stimulated by some interactions with co-workers. It's much harder to be awake when it's just me, but the reason I want to be up is to do things that I do alone. I am finding that with some will, I can read and study on the computer despite being tired (up to a point).

The 4am rising is getting a little more tolerable. I felt OK 2 out of the last 3 mornings, where I wasn't sleep walking on my feet until the sun rose. And last night, I actually ventured out to see a move at 10pm, but forgot my wallet, and had to return home. Instead, I went for a walk on the beach and then rented Lord of the Rings, but my companion nearly passed out after 5 minutes of the movie--which we started at 12:15am. So we had to call it quits.

This morning, I shot archery at about 6am (first light) and then dashed off to the pool at 8am, not to swim so much as to soak in the hot tub. I did my first weight-training workout yesterday and am sore. I slept in my truck in the parking lot and my first polyphasic-truck-nap went very well.

I also informed my employer of my experiment, and he didn't seem to have a problem with it, apparently he gets about 4-5 hours of sleep a night and naps during the day also. So things are moving smoothly with regard to incorporating this into my life.

I am not fully awake most of the day, though. Well enough to get through the day, but not well enough to crawl in bed with a book, or well enough to debug a program or tackle a new project. I am fine at hours but not at others, most prominently the ones I am accustomed to sleeping during. I am guessing that after I acclimatize, that will change, and I will be able to be more productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment