Friday, July 31, 2009

Day One Afternoon

I didn't feel that I needed a nap at 2pm, but I took it anyway. I fell asleep quickly, and woke up thinking my alarm hadn't gone off. It felt like I'd been asleep for about 45 minutes. I checked my clock--only 15 minutes had gone by. I didn't feel the need to go back to sleep, and ended up laying still for another several minutes, looking out the window and enjoying feeling rested.

Several years ago, I had hurt my back so badly that I was unable to sleep for more than a couple of hours at a time for about four weeks. When I finally was well enough to sleep through the night, I remember the physical and emotional relief I felt, as if an insidious burden was finally lifted from me. The way I felt when I woke up from my nap this afternoon reminded me of that. Wherever the outcome of this 'experimental sleep pattern' lead is unknown, but I am realizing that the sleep pattern I had before, called monophasic, or normal, or whatever, was not working for me.

But perhaps I'm simply being delusional. Always a possibility.

So I'm cruising through the end of my workday, my body is still tired and aching from yesterday's workout. I am a little tired, but also quite relaxed. I feel focused. There are some troubleshooting tasks that I am not interested in taking on this afternoon, though that may be psychological in nature. I just was not planning on expecting much out of myself today. But I have put in a decent, focused day of work, and I am planning on doing some more tomorrow, despite it being the weekend (though that is normal for me).

No comments:

Post a Comment